Monday, January 5, 2009

The Tale of Two Gimps (Originally written December 26, 2008)

The Tale of Two Gimps

What we do for fitness.” A quote from a woman named Diane this morning while we were out running with my neighbor Katherine. I haven't run with Katherine for about 2 and half months now since my injury and today I ventured out with them to see if I can still keep up. Turns out Diane is injured too, she literally has a pain in the butt, which is much higher than my ankle injury. Ergo, the tale of two gimps: Diane and I running gimpily. We runners are a stubborn bunch, we could be in excruciating pain and still try to go out there to pound the pavement. We go through all kinds of pain just to stay fit. Pretty much similar to the USPS motto - “Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds”. Add 'pain' to that motto and what you get is a runner. Well, with the help of those two ladies, I managed to complete a one hour run, my longest since the injury. It was a very satisfying breakthrough. I'm was so happy that I was able to do it since I needed to burn the calories I have been eating a lot of this holiday season. For today, mission accomplished, but there is still New Year's Day to deal with ...

No comments:

Statcounter