Monday, January 5, 2009

Ankle Injury Update (Originally written November 20, 2008)

November 20

Ankle Injury Update

So I finally got to see a podiatrist last Friday and I brought the shoes and orthotics I have been wearing for running, and he checked out both of my ankles. He just confirmed what I already had the past 3 years which is: Posterior Tibialis Tendonitis. He said that my posterior tibialis tendon had weakened further and prescribed new orthotics and was going to send a request to the insurance company for approval to pay for it. I hope insurance pays for it because custom made orthotics are really expensive, anywhere from $ 250 to more than $ 400 a pair. Last time I had one made 3 years ago, the insurance company didn't pay for it. The doctor also suggested that I switch to cycling or swimming which I'm not so keen on because it requires too much equipment as compared to the simplicity of running.
Well after 6 weeks of just stationary cycling and stationary rowing I finally tried to walk for extended periods of time with my walking poles (also known as trekking or nordic poles). Basically these are 2 poles that you use as if you were cross-country skiing while walking. It helps me keep my balance and relieves my ankle pain since I can use the poles to bear some of my weight. I am even able to jog for about 30 seconds to 1 minute before I feel the ankle ache and I have to go back to walking. At least I'm exercising outdoors. However I have lost all of the running fitness that I had developed over the summer. I'm out of breathe so easily when I'm on the jog portion of my walk. I'm not so concerned about being out of breathe as I am about the pain on my ankle though. I'll try to walk/jog at least 3 times a week as long as my ankle can tolerate it. Doesn't burn as much calories as just running though so I suppose I'll have to try to eat lesser to maintain my weight.

No comments:

Statcounter