Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Agony After The Ecstasy

As I wrap my ankles in ice packs after my long walk today, I can’t help but look back to the past week. Last Saturday I experienced the ecstasy of running with four strong women who kept me going and made me finish hard (http://noeldlp.blogspot.com/2009/08/running-with-pack.html). Two days ago on Thursday, I experienced the agony of limping back home from my run because I aggravated the pre-existing injury on my right ankle. Every time I make that injury worse could be the end of my running days. I shudder to think about it but realistically that day will come sooner than later. I can only try to heal and attempt to run again and hope that the ankle can still give me a few more miles.

Today was my first try in healing. I made a decision yesterday that I was going to walk with my trekking poles. I already knew that I couldn’t run but at least I could try to walk and walk it was going to be. But for how long and how far? I hadn’t done a walking workout since February 19th of this year and that was only for an hour and a half covering 6.35 miles (I looked it up in my logs). The distances on tap for today was either a 16 miler or a 9 miler on a new course which I really wanted to experience. I wanted to attempt at least the 9 miler and started half an hour earlier than the main running group so I wouldn’t be the last one out there. Since it was a new course I carried the directions with me so as not to get lost. I wrote it on a piece of paper with a ballpoint pen to lessen the smudges in case it got wet. With my walking poles, GPS watch, and radio (Katy Perry was guest hosting on the American Top 40 countdown), I set out on my 9 mile adventure. I was so preoccupied on knowing where to turn and not getting lost that I was not really paying attention on the amount of time I was walking. I just kept walking while monitoring the condition of my ankle hoping it doesn’t worsen. Tam and Deb were a welcome relief at the water stops and the only reason why I didn’t get to Liz is because she was on the 16 mile course.

Well, I managed to finish 9.25 miles on this day of healing and as of this writing, my ankle doesn’t feel too battered by the time and distance that I covered (2 hours, 16 minutes, 19 seconds – 14:45 pace per mile). It was not as satisfying as running and I barely broke a sweat but at least it gives me some peace of mind that come October, if I’m still not able to run, I can still possibly walk the half marathon.

Post walk notes: While waiting for my friends to finish their run, I tried running a few times with a shuffling gait in the parking lot and managed one to two minutes without pain, so there might be some hope that I will be able to run again. When and for how long? That is the question.

Thanks so much to the AREC members who showed their concern and encouragement.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Noel, it was nice seeing you yesterday. Take it easy with your ankles, you know the routine! That new course along CSULB is ok but at some point I thought I was lost because I had never been there before. You will enjoy it when you get back to running. Please take the time to heal.

Noel DLP said...

Thank you so much Linda, today is another day of healing.

Noel DLP said...

These were comments from Facebook:
Soraya:Matugas tuod in ulo mo!!!sinabi na pag may pain and any discomfort sa ankle, you have to rest that INJURED ankle of yours.....not even a short WALK....I'm worried about you noel, Ayaw kaw magsusun ( regret) when that time comes that you can't anymore use your leg ( God forbid ). Sisterly advice lang , MAKINIG KA NAMAN....i think NOT walking for a day or two will not harm you, ok?......by the way, i remembered F.A.'s bday.....Aug.4...hehehe

Noel: Soraya, my ankle felt ok during the walk and the tungkods (trekking poles in the picture) helped. I would have stopped if I had pain when I started the walk and gone home. Don't worry, I'm listening :)

Statcounter