Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Roots of My Agony

Push, push, push, until you can’t push anymore!

I have violated the goals I set out to do this year regarding my running. I was happy and content on being able to run again last December and I promised myself that I’m going to run as easily as possible and land my stride on the ground as lightly as I possibly can despite my naturally heavy stride. In violating my goals I have violated myself and my right ankle. My injury is well documented in this blog, after all that was the reason I started it.

Running is what I love to do. It keeps me centered, sane, and happy (not to mention not overweight). I can have a bad run on a bad day and still feel good afterwards. I have other alternative exercise contraptions like an upright and recumbent stationary bike, a stairmaster, and an imitation Concept II rowing machine, but all those combined don’t give me the satisfaction that running does. Call it a passion but that’s a word I’ve never used to describe my love for running before. It’s just that I’ve heard and read about so many people having a passion for this or that. So I guess running is my passion, something that I ache and yearn for. Without it I feel undefined. Except recently I’ve been getting an ache of a different kind and the reason for that is the PUSH.

Always trying to find a way to get a little bit faster, or at least make the slower long runs a bit more comfortable, there is a tendency to do some type of speedwork during the mid-week shorter runs. Be it intervals, tempo runs, or short pickups, they all require picking up the pace that requires stretching the joints more and pounding the pavement with a heavier stride. I tend to do this harder when I’m having a good day. Why do I need to push the pace? Why can’t I just be content on being able to run no matter how slow just so I can keep on running longer? This is the nature of my inner beast, the competitive spirit of my being makes me do it to the detriment of my injured ankle.

If I am to run again after this most recent setback, I’ll will have to find a way to tamp down, extinguish, and resist the urge to PUSH. But damn, that push feels so good when all cylinders are clicking!

3 comments:

Nancy Deprez said...

You're right, pushing can feel so good sometimes! Oh well. You seem like you will recover soon; I hope that you do!

Unknown said...

hi Noel, what are you going to do to resist the urge to PUSH when your ankles are better? What are the other reasons you enjoy running?

Noel DLP said...

Linda, aye, and there's the rub (in my best pirate imitation). It's going to be hard not to push, but it's the least of my concerns right now, I just want to run again.

Statcounter