Monday, August 10, 2009

Having D.O.M.S.

No, please don’t get any bad ideas, it doesn’t mean dirty old man syndrome. It stands for Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. Can you believe that people actually did some research on this?

About thirty six hours after my 9.25 mile trek (looking silly walking with ski poles) through the city of Long Beach, the soreness finally struck my legs. From the muscles of the soles of my feet, to my shins, up to the back of my thighs, DOMS has hit me. Not that it was totally unexpected, after all as I’ve mentioned before, I haven’t done a walking workout since last February. What I’m experiencing is just a normal, run of the mill type of soreness that one gets after not having exercised in awhile. Even though I’ve been running considerably more distance than the nine miler last Saturday, walking brings to play a different set of muscle groups into the game. Hence the soreness. It’s the kind of soreness that makes a lot of people give up on the exercise programs that they start as part of their New Year’s resolutions. Not me. As God is my witness, this soreness is not going to lick me. I’m going to live through this and when it’s all over, I’ll never complain again! Oh wait, that quote was paraphrased from “Gone With The Wind”. Please excuse me for borrowing it.

DOMS may not feel comfortable, but it’s temporary, doesn’t cause permanent damage and you get to fight another day. Never give up!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OW Noel, you sure have more than your share of pain lately. Sounds like you need a massage or a good swim to ease the soreness.

Sophie-Chantal said...

Noel, I know a wonderful massage therapist right by the Target on Bellflower. Let me know if you need her info.

Noel DLP said...

Thanks Sophie, the DOMS should be gone by tomorrow. Wait till you finish your marathon then you will really experience what DOMS is all about.

Statcounter