Sunday, August 16, 2009

Getting My Fix - Four Minutes at a Time

A week after my nine mile trek around Long Beach, I embarked on another adventure yesterday, this time without my crutches (trekking poles). I was able to mix in some running with bits of walking. Having started 20 to 30 minutes before the main group, which I’m thinking now was too early, only two people passed me, one who also started early but was running the whole way for eight miles, and the other who I’m not sure was doing the full eight miles.

My plan for the day was to try to run for four minutes then walk for one minute to give my ankle a break, from start to finish for the shorter eight mile course. This was two days after having run/walked for six miles using a three minute/one minute run-walk interval. I was doing so well that I decided to sidetrack myself and ran part of the longer twelve mile course. My tender right ankle tendon had moments of pain specially on the hills. It would stretch one way going uphill and pull the other way on the downhill. Not only that, it was uncomfortable running on the left side of the road because it turned my ankle inwards. So I had to run with the traffic on the right side of the street most of the time.

My pace was so slow that I didn’t even splatter any sweat on my eyeglasses like I usually do. Forget about breathing hard, the pace wasn’t fast enough to do that either. Trying to run faster at this time is not compatible with the present condition of my ankle. I just don’t want to overstretch the tendon while at its healing phase. I guess if it’s heavy breathing I’m after, I’ll have to get it from another type of activity (wink, wink).

In the meantime, it appears that I’m developing a black toe on my right foot. Essentially it’s a blood blister or bruise underneath the nail, which happens to a lot of long distance runners. I don’t know why I’m getting it since I don’t feel any of my toes rubbing against the shoe.

What I miss most about having to do the run/walk is running with other people: how you help pace each other, encourage each other, and talk with each other to make the miles go by quicker.

But at least I’m able to satiate my running addiction even if it was only four minutes at a time. I even finished 9.3 miles yesterday doing just that without battering my ankle too much. It’s all good for now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My body aches for exercise no matter what condition I'm in. Sometimes when on holiday I try my best to look for a gym. Ever since been I've been visiting Phil regularly, Ihave kept few running gear in Cebu, Zambo & Manila, not counting the others I left in Brunei, Singapore & Sydney. I just pray for speedy recovery to your legs.

Noel DLP said...

Wow Ed, with whom do you keep all that running gear with? A girl in every port? Just kidding. Well, we just have to adapt to what life gives us. Thanks for the good wishes.

Statcounter