Monday, August 3, 2009

Idealizing The Past


My former high school classmates and townmates who I found on Facebook, and I have been talking about what we remembered about our town when we were growing up. We have also been trying to trace the whereabouts of people we haven’t seen for decades. Old pictures have popped up from here and there even though most from my age group have little or none to show because they were things we lost in the fire of 1974. The insurrection of that year was like a shotgun blast that scattered the pellets of our lives in different directions.

What we tend to remember were all the good experiences that happened to us, specially the ones who have not returned to visit Jolo since 1974 and haven’t seen the changes first hand, even though we hear the bad news from there once in awhile. We like to remember the sights and sounds of things that were pleasant but we tend to, intentionally or not, forget the bad things. We wish things would return to how it used to be before all the troubles started, but realistically we know it could never be. At least I hope that we can be realistic.

Idealizing the past is okay and trying to see Jolo’s situation with rose-colored glasses is okay too, but with the current conflicts and kidnappings it’s hard to imagine that we can ever go back to how it used to be.

Yet, it has been a joy discussing, remembering, and exchanging memories with and about people we grew up with. It makes me smile when they tell me about happy experiences, makes me sad when I learn that some of them have died, but most importantly it makes me proud that despite all the challenges that the 1974 incident presented, we were able to move on and make something of ourselves, one pellet at a time.


4 comments:

larrydlp said...

hi kuya, i started to chronicle the memories i had of jolo during the last days there. i just felt i needed to record that somewhere. hopefully, something bright and colorful will come after painting the dark side of it.
http://larrydlp.blogspot.com/

Noel DLP said...

Larry, I'm glad that you wrote about it. I hope many Joloanos will read it and share their previously unwritten experiences.

EDLIM said...

Noel, I myself wasn't there during that fateful day, however I was in Zamboanga City welcoming thousands upon thousands of 'refugees' aboard few naval boats. For those who had money & relatives in Zamboanga City were able to relocate pretty fast. The city government wasn't also prepared to face such massive migration.

Noel DLP said...

Comments from Facebook:

Soraya: That was so touching..!

Noel: Thanks Soraya, it made me sad having to write it from a different perspective.

Jun: Well expressed, Noel. Thanks.

Noel: Thank you Jun. Much appreciated.

Statcounter