Friday, August 7, 2009

The Subject of Conduct

Here I am awakening in the middle of the night (3 a.m.!) worried about my ankle then out of the blue suddenly remembering how we used to be graded for Conduct in elementary and high school. I just had to get out of bed to write about it before I forgot.

Aside from the regular subjects like English, Math, Science, and History in our report cards, there was also a category called Conduct. I don’t really remember what kind of grades I got for the subject of Conduct or maybe I have conveniently forgotten already. Did anybody ever fail that subject? Talking in class was one of the things that would have taken points off your grade. In short, we were being graded for our behavior in school. If you misbehaved, you were accountable for your own behavior and you were given a punishment of some sort (squatting, given a quick snap of a stick on the palm of your hand, etc.). Forget about going home to complain to your parents about the teacher being unfair. The parents of that time would always support the decision of the teachers and there would probably be more punishment at home. I wonder if they still have Conduct in report cards today?

Let me hear about your experiences. Comment below. Thanks.

1 comment:

Noel DLP said...

Comments from Facebook:
Fides: Oh Noel I am cracking with laughter right now when you ask that I am known to be talkative in clas everytime any of the teacher turn ther back i start talking and thats how i get in trouble and end up at the office
I remember a teacher putting a bouganville flower in my mouth and tape it and it happen my Papa pass by and was able to peek on the window of the classroom(our class was located downstair) just imagine what he did all the nun was freaking scared...

Soraya:I was never punished during those days...ang takot ko lang! you're right, noel ...those times parents support our teachers...and can't stand the big brown eyes of sister Ino, scorching.. when she is angry!!! ha ha ha those were the days my friend , we thought we'll never end la la la la.....

Jasmine: I and my now sis-in-law, Dereng Abubakar, called her Sister James B. I remember being punished for nothing, just because I hanged out with the 'naughty girls'.The ultimate punishment was when my friends and I were suspended for a few days for diverting to Maubu Beach after a field trip to one of the mountains. I think we were the 'flower' children at that time.

Jun: i remember remaining behind at the flag pole a few times to suffer for a few more minutes (or hours?) for some misdeeds. what i cannot remember now is whether those times happened in notre dame (jolo), st. michael's (iligan) or the ateneo (de zbga). definitely not in DDHPMHS.

Statcounter