Friday, April 9, 2010

Oops, I Did It Again!



All I can think about is a line from a Johnny Mathis song “There I go, there I go, there I go, there I go again” or from a more recent artist, Britney Spears, “Oops, I did it again”. What am I trying to say? As mentioned in one of my posts a few days ago, I’ve been concerned about how my ankles have been feeling due to some hard workouts I’ve done in the past few weeks (http://noeldlp.blogspot.com/2010/04/on-brink-of-another-disaster.html). A few hours after Thursday’s undeveloped run, I felt a very sharp pain on my right ankle (in addition to my left ankle which was already hurting because I compensate with that leg). I was hoping that a nights’ sleep plus a day off from running would make the left ankle feel better. I had no such luck.
 I tried to delay calling Cyndi to beg off from running on Saturday morning to see if the ankle felt better, but after icing, elevating and bracing it numerous times without relief, I finally had to tell her that I had to bail from our 12 miler.
It appears that I have reached my ankles’ breaking point again. I’ve noticed this in previous breakdowns: when I get to a certain distance during long runs (usually 10 to 12 miles of non-stop running), my ankle tendons start to break down. It is at this point that I think I should be doing the Galloway method of running. In my case a 4 minute run and 1 minute recovery walk, until I finish the goal distance. That way, I am still able to cover the miles while giving my tendons a break. That was how I was able to finish a marathon last year. The problem with this method is that it is hard to find training partners who are willing to run and walk.
I have mentioned before that running continues to be a learning process. More so with the Posterior Tibialis Tendon Dysfunction (PTTD) I suffer. I am learning how far and how hard I can run until I reach my breaking point. This week, I not was not only at the brink of disaster, I may have gone over the brink. I will be taking a few days off from running or maybe a couple of weeks, depending on how my ankles feel. I hope the tendon didn’t tear again like it did in October 2008.


Public comments below, private comments: E-mail Me!
Back to Main Page: http://noeldlp.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hope things get worked out...

Noel DLP said...

Thanks Heidi, I just need to give my tendons a break.

Statcounter