Monday, April 26, 2010

Run Like A Slug


A crummy run is better than no run at all. Even if it feels bad, it always feels good when you’re finished. It was a sluggish run on Friday morning that lasted all of 50 minutes which is too short for most runners. I blame the sluggishness on the high protein diet I’ve had the past two days. My body is a carbohydrate craving machine and without it, it sputters. My running conditioning has also suffered since I’ve been doing other forms of aerobic exercise while trying to make my ankles heal. Regardless of how badly I felt during the run, finishing it gave me a huge relief at the end. At least I got to run.
On Sunday afternoon, I had another uncomfortable run but with better results at the end. I don’t usually run in the afternoons anymore but my schedule was screwed up due to a dentist visit last Thursday. After an hour and ten minutes of the 4 minute run/1 minute walk workout I had covered 7.12 miles which was an average of 9:50 pace. Compare this to my 50 minute sluggish non-walking run last Friday which only covered 5.11 miles and 9:48 pace. You see, there is very little difference between running non-stop and the run/walk combination because I’m able to push the pace a little bit more during the 4 minutes that I’m running while giving my ankles a break and also able to cover more distance. Should I just do all of my runs that way then? I’m considering it seriously.
I finally downloaded the entry form for the Wrigley River Run 10K coming up on June 12th. It’s in my neighborhood and it benefits the community. I filled out the form and a check and dropped them off on my way home from work Monday morning at the organizers' house which was nearby. I ran it last year after not having done a 10k for almost two decades. Here are the two entries I posted about that race: http://noeldlp.blogspot.com/2009/06/10ks-to-remember.html and http://noeldlp.blogspot.com/2009/06/surviving-wrigley-river-run-10k-on.html . I’m not sure how I’m going to run it this year. Run/walk, or run non-stop. I’ll decide depending on how my ankles hold up till then.
It just occurred to me, slugs don’t run, they crawl. Perhaps I’ll try that sometime.

Public comments below, private comments: E-mail Me!
Back to Main Page: http://noeldlp.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Gavin McKiernan said...

got the sign up form, look forward to seeing you at a training run before the race too.

Statcounter