Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Intensity, Intensity, Intensity

Updates: So far I’ve managed to keep my weight at a steady level while being unable to run last week. As long as I make a good effort of keep up the intensity of my stationary bike and elliptical machine workouts, I seem to be able to burn close to the same energy as running. I only say close because it doesn’t feel exactly the same. Even the elliptical trainer makes my ankles hurt when I start going faster because I still have to move the ankle joint. The only difference is there is no pounding against the ground so I can do interval training on the low impact machines.
Aggravating my injury has been happening too often in between brief recoveries. This is my new reality. The pain never really disappears and PTTD is progressive because it doesn’t heal, it just gets worse. With the poor balance caused by my ankle problems plus dizziness higher up in my head, I’m surprised I haven’t fallen yet.
As the elite men ran their last 7 miles in Boston on Monday, I started my own 7 miles from home. I wanted to watch the rest of the race while running on my treadmill but I was being considerate of my neighbor downstairs who would have complained of the pounding noise I was going to make. So I ran outdoors instead.
What a satisfying run/walk on Monday. I completed 7 miles in an hour and 10 minutes which was the same pace I ran 6 miles without walking in an hour last Saturday. This run/walk method is really something. I can still run with some intensity while saving my joints and sanity. 

Public comments below, private comments: E-mail Me!
Back to Main Page: http://noeldlp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Statcounter